A SHORT HISTORY OF THE
UTAH SPORTS HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION
The Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation (USHOFF) was organized in 1967 as “The Old Time Athletes Association.” The goal then, as well as it is today, is to celebrate and preserve Utah’s storied sports heritage. In 1970, the Charter Class of 18 honorees was inducted into the Hall of Fame. Since then, a select number of administrators, coaches, players and prominent contributors to athletics in Utah have been inducted annually into the Hall of Fame. A beautifully-crafted plaque of recognition honoring each inductee is displayed in special Display Cases in the northeast corner of the Main Concourse of the Energy Solutions Arena. In 1997, the organization officially changed its name to the current USHOFF.
In 1972, the USHOFF began honoring others who have made substantial contributions to the Utah sports community. The foundation started hosting annual and biannual recognition banquets for the following:
1. Distinguished Utah High School Head Coaches;
2. Utah “Coaches of Merit” (Head coaches who had spent many years in both high school and college);
3. Outstanding Game Officials in all sports from high school and college;
4. Utahns who had compiled an impressive and substantial history of “Distinguished Service” to sports and their communities; and
5. Utah high school seniors with superior academic and athletic achievements that warranted College Scholarships courtesy of Paul and Ruby Ream and their private Foundation.
In 2006, the need for a more comprehensive funding program was established. Goals were set as follows:
1. To establish a private Foundation that qualified as a Tax-Exempt entity under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
2. To plan and implement a fundraising effort to solicit donations from the general public, corporate and government sectors to support the ongoing operations of the USHOFF;
3. To increase Foundation membership, and to seek additional financial support from existing members; and
4. To utilize the media to promote a greater awareness and understanding of the goals and activities of the USHOFF.
To that end, opportunities exist that would enable an individual or business entity to partner with the Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation in a Sponsorship capacity in any of the following scenarios:
1. Naming rights, with participation privileges, for banquets honoring Hall of Fame inductees, Coaches, Officials and Distinguished Service recipients;
2. Sponsorship of the Annual Golf Tournament, which is the USHOFF’s only fundraising event of the year;
3. Annual Scholarship Endowment, with the right to determine selection criteria, scholarship amount and exclusive participation in the presentation process. Natural suggestions would be to partner that event with an already-scheduled USHOFF banquet, or to present the award at an Assembly at the winner’s high school.
As can be clearly seen, the Utah Sports Hall of Fame Foundation has a long and impressive history of recognizing and honoring athletic and academic achievement. As we approach our 50-Year Anniversary, the future has never looked brighter, and the strides have never been greater. The USHOFF—the PREMIER SPORTS ORGANIZATION in the State of Utah!